Preparing for a Test
- Pay attention in class. Exercises and activities throughout the year practice skills that will benefit you on standardized tests.
- Know what to expect. Your teacher can provide you with information about the tests you will be taking.
- Get plenty of sleep the night before the test and eat a healthy breakfast in the morning.
- Arrive on time. Running late can raise your stress level and hurt your performance.
Taking a test
- Read directions and questions carefully.
- Consider every choice. Don’t be fooled by distractors, or answers that are almost correct.
- Spend time wisely. Within each section, answer the easiest questions first and come back to the more difficult questions later.
- Make sure to record your answer on the correct line of the answer sheet. As you mark each answer, ask yourself “Am I on the right question number in the right section of the test?” and “Is this the answer I mean to mark?”
- Use any extra time to check your work.